Electron is working on making its release cycles faster and more stable. To make that possible, we've started the App Feedback Program for large-scale Electron apps to test our beta releases and report app-specific issues to us. This helps us to prioritize work that will get applications upgraded to our next stable release sooner.
Edit (2020-05-21): This program has been retired.
Our criteria and expectations for apps joining this program include the following items:
- Test your app during the beta period for 10,000+ user-hours
- Have a single point-person who will check in weekly to discuss your app's Electron bugs and app blockers
- You agree to abide by Electron's Code of Conduct
- You are willing to share the following information listed in the next question
- Total user-hours your app has been running with any beta release
- Version of Electron that your app is testing with (e.g., 4.0.0-beta.3)
- Any bugs preventing your application from upgrading to the release line being beta tested
We understand not everyone can share exact user numbers, however better data helps us decide how stable a particular release is. We ask that apps commit to testing a minimum number of user-hours, currently 10,000 across the beta cycle.
- 10 user-hours could be 10 people testing for one hour, or one person testing for 10 hours
- You can split the testing between beta releases, for example test for 5,000 user-hours on 3.0.0-beta.2 and then test for 5,000 user-hours on 3.0.0-beta.5. More is better, but we understand that some applications cannot test every beta release
- CI or QA hours do not count towards the total; however, internal releases do count
Your app's bugs will be tracked and be on the core Electron team's radar. Your feedback helps the Electron team to see how the new betas are doing and what work needs to be done.
No, your application's information will not be shared with the general public. Information is kept in a private GitHub repo that is only viewable to members of the App Feedback Program and Electron Governance. All members have agreed to follow Electron's Code of Conduct.
We are currently accepting a limited number of signups. If you are interested and are able to fulfill the above requirements, please fill out this form.