Syng | 词应
Dictionary App | 词典应用
Syng is a free, open source, Chinese-To-English and English-To-Chinese Dictionary app that makes it easy to lookup words and phrases quickly. Currently Syng works on macOS, Windows, and Linux systems.
Syng is a stylized spelling of cíyīng, the Pinyin for 词应. 词应 has been shorted from 词典应用, literally translating to Dictionary App.
- Syng allows you to search by Pinyin, English, and Chinese characters (both traditional and simplified)
- Syng makes it easy to study Chinese by creating flash cards out of your saved words and searches.
- Syng also tests you on your knowledge and progress of your Chinese to measure your language development.
- Syng allows you to save words and searches to your bookmarks, so that you can reference them later, and even create custom vocab lists.
- Syng lets you read Chinese text from your clipboard or from the web with an easy to use popup dictionary.
- Offline Support
- No internet connection required for most features
- Mac OS X
- Prettify Pinyin
- Convert pinyin with tone numbers with tone marks
- Convert Characters
- Convert between traditional and simplified characters
- Convert 汉字 into hànzì. Turn characters into pinyin
- Character Stroke Animations
- View character stroke order animations to study writing characters
These are few feature additions and visual changes in v1.5.0. For a full list of changes, see the changelog.
- Added support for custom tone colors
More screenshots available on the Syng website.
To install Syng on Linux, you can you use the pre-built installation script by copy and pasting the code below into terminal. It's good to be cautious about what you are putting in your terminal, you can read the 64-bit install script here and the 32-bit install script here.
For 64-bit systems:
wget -O- https://bit.ly/2weiJxU | bash
For 32-bit systems:
wget -O- https://bit.ly/2OLXtay | bash
Alternatively, if you aren't comfortable running the pre-built installation script, you can install manually by downloading the 64-bit candidate here and the 32-bit candidate here and then following the installation instructions provided.
To install Syng on macOS, simply download the
.dmg file from here and then drag and drop the Syng app into your Applications folder.
This software is licensed under the GNU Public License 3. The file at
app/src/db/cc-cedict.json is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License.