Dot Browser is a privacy-conscious web browser with smarts built-in for protection against trackers and advertisments online.
- Built-in adblocker - Dot Browser automatically blocks advertisements and trackers out of the box so you can get back to what you do best, browsing!
- Clean and familiar UI - You won't need to re-invent the wheel to understand the layout.
- We don't track you - We've based Dot Browser on the Firefox source code, and we've stripped out all the Mozilla tracking.
- Sync all your important data to your Dot ID - You can backup and sync all your browsing history, bookmarks and even passwords.
- Modify every aspect of the browser - With the
configpage, you can tweak and fine-tune anything in the browser.
- Modern New Tab Page - Our New Tab page features a search box and the latest news in your area. Anything is customisable.
- All our code is open-source - We love transparency, which is why all our code is open-source and publically-available on GitHub.
❗ Issues / Support
Create issues here. Get support from our discord server, by clicking the banner below.
💻 Build Dot Browser
The following steps are designed for unix-based operating systems, if you want to build Dot Browser on Windows, please refer to this doc.
1. Download our build tool from here
2. Grab our source code by typing
python3 bootstrap.py, this may take a few hours.
3. You can now pick which build type you want to do when
mach asks you to choose a build type.
You'll need to pick the appropriate build type as different parts of the project require different methods of being built.
Artifact builds - When building with the Artifact type instead of compiling the C++ code on your system,
machwill fetch pre-built binaries from Mozilla and then will link the frontend (html, js, css) with the binary. Artifact builds take under a minute to build on a mid-range system.
Full builds - Full builds are used when you want to modify the C++ code or want to generate a custom binary for distribution.
4. You can then start the build once
mach says your system is ready, the command to build the project is
./mach build. This may take a few seconds up to a few hours.
5. If you've made it this far, you've successfully built Dot Browser! Now, you'll want to run the binary you built, you can do this by running
- Dot Browser wouldn't be possible without the amazing Firefox open-source project, developed by Mozilla.
We accept one-time donations on Ko-Fi to keep our servers running, (you'll have to pay each month if you want a monthly payment)
Dot Browser is licensed under the MPL-2.0 license.
Thanks goes to these wonderful people (emoji key):
This project follows the all-contributors specification. Contributions of any kind welcome!